Prepare for Remodeling Your Kitchen with Our Step by Step Kitchen Remodeling Guide
A kitchen remodeling project can be a huge undertaking. Begin your project by taking the time to outline a plan and the specific steps you’ll take can make your project much smoother. We have developed a specific formula for working with our clients to remodel the kitchen, but today we want to help you simplify things before you even get started.
- Analyze your Space – Measure, get an idea of dimensions, decide what you like and don’t like about your existing kitchen space. A remodel doesn’t have to mean gutting your entire kitchen; if there are elements you love they can be a great jumping off point for designing your new kitchen.
- Set Goals – What is the main purpose of your remodel? Do you want to bring outdated cabinetry and décor up to date? Create a more efficient workflow? Add updated features like efficient appliances or built in butcher blocks?
- Prioritize Goals – Be realistic. Sometimes our hopes and dreams are beyond our means, and with remodels you have to expect the unexpected. Prioritize your goals and choose which features are most important and which are negotiable.
- Make a Budget – One of the most important – and sometimes most difficult – parts of creating a remodeling plan is figuring out how much you want to spend. Make a budget before you begin and stick to it. Be sure to build in a buffer of 20% for any unexpected material price changes or expenses.
- Get Estimates – Before any large construction or home improvement project, it is a good idea to get multiple bids from different contractors. Especially if you’re unfamiliar with the industry, doing a bit of research and comparing what different companies offer for similar prices is a step that will help you get the best deal.
- Check Referrals – Any good contractor who is on the up and up will be able to provide multiple referrals from satisfied customers. Ask for references and check them. Spending time discovering which contractor is the best fit for your project and home will prevent headaches during your remodel.
- Sign a Contract – Make sure to get prices and promised labor in writing. Any contract should be read thoroughly before signing, and copies should be kept with both the contractor and the homeowner.
Remodel Your Bathroom with Bart’s Remodeling in Chicago
Bart’s Remodeling is located in Chicago and we provide a variety of remodeling services for homeowners in the entire Chicagoland area. Give us a call at 312-714-5454 to request information or schedule an appointment to discuss your kitchen remodeling ideas and begin the design process.