Call or Text Now!  312-714-5454

How to Know if Your Basement is Making You Sick

If you are like millions of other people in the United States, you are spending quite a bit of time down in your renovated basement. After all, these basements have added thousands of square feet of space to homes across the country, and families are rejoicing in all this newfound space.

There is a small problem though. If you are not careful, your basement could be making you sick.

You may be wondering what we are talking about, especially if you just refinished your basement. However, it doesn’t matter when your basement was renovated or what you did to it, almost everyone is at risk for having mold growing in this space. And that mold can make you sick and you may not even know it.

Mold can easily grow in a basement that is damp or where water has seeped in from the outside. While looking for water sources and removing them, and running dehumidifiers can help prevent mold, you may still have an issue of it growing where you cannot see it.

If you are experiencing any of the following issues, you may be getting sick from mold that is in your basement.

  • Red, itchy, and watery eyes
  • Sneezing, runny nose, or congestion
  • Itchy or sore throat with a post-nasal drip and cough
  • Wheezing
  • Skin irritation

Those who are really susceptible to mold, or those who have been exposed for a longer period of time, may experience a fever, shortness of breath, and possibly an infection in their lungs.

Skin rashes are also a sign of mold exposure and these rashes can be very itchy. If you have a rash, you know that it can be very difficult to not scratch. However, continuous scratching can lead to your skin breaking and that can lead to a major infection.

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms or you have noticed that your basement is more damp than usual or has standing water in it, you may have a build up of mold down there. This is not something that you can leave and hope that it clears up on its own.

We recommend calling a professional and have them do a thorough inspection to see where the mold is and how bad it is. Then you can create a plan with them to have the mold removed as quickly as possible and then find a way to prevent it from coming back.

You will be amazed at how much better you and your family will feel once you have this taken care of and your basement will not be making you sick again any time soon.

Close Menu